Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I told my 7th graders

Today I told my seventh graders that this would be my last year at the school. I didn't want them to get the news from someone else.

Some students cried. I might have cried a bit myself.

"What will we do without you?!" one student asked. I replied, "You'll be fine. You were a great class before me, and you're be a great class after me." She sniffed, "Yes. We are great."

Another student, who rather resembles a fluffy, floppy labrador puppy in many ways, told me that she wasn't crying because she was still processing things. She would cry later, she promised, when she was alone. When I told her that she didn't have to cry, that I was happy that she wasn't so sad, she insisted. "No! I will cry later! I will!"

My big, blue-eyed boy declared that "I am crying inside. In my heart. But not outside. Because I am a man."

No comments:

Post a Comment